Sunday, June 21, 2009

"It's about seeing the world that's in my head, or seeing what's in my heart. Because you can't really use a word or words to explain a feeling or an experience."

I find myself irritated when I tell people what I'd like to do someday and they respond with some version of "wow, it takes a special person to do that" or "better you than me." And while this is not the response I recieve everytime, it happens more than enough.

When I was in high school I had the opportunity to spend some time volunteering at the Lyle Torrant Center working with a number of the kids there. Seeing the joy and delight on their faces as they completed a task or practiced simple skills over and over again was an experience that I'd like to have happen again and again. Somewhere between that and logging some observation hours I discovered that I there really couldn't be a better way for me to put my passion for people to use. Working with special needs/handicapped children in the field of Occupational Therapy helping them to learn the basic skills they never had, or working to improve their fine motor skills. But it's more than that, it's about loving them, serving them, teaching them, and helping them to grow.

While some people might not understand why this passion has been placed in my heart and why I want to do what I want to. It doesn't really matter anymore because sometimes their just aren't words to explain what's in your head and your heart.


1 comment:

Carrie said...

that would be such a rewarding job. i love that you're thinking about that!! :oD